Monday, February 7, 2011

My Favorite Recipe

Dinnertime is always an adventure in my house. I live with a number of picky eaters. Gabbi won’t eat anything that’s a fruit, or a veggie, or has sauce, or is not the right shape/color/consistency. Micah has gotten a little bit better, as long has he has a number of utensils to pick and choose from (on demand) and as long as he can eat half of his meal off of someone else’s plate. Lou claims that he’s not picky, and he’s not. As long as the meat is chicken or pork chops…and said chicken or pork chops are breaded and/or smothered with sauce…and said sauce contains NO chunks and is completely smooth…and that the side is egg noodles or macaroni and cheese. That being said, this is a recipe that everyone in my family really likes. It’s my go-to recipe for bringing meals to people after they’ve had a baby. I got it from my awesome mother-in-law who also knows a thing or two about picky eaters. 

Savory Crescent Chicken Squares
Serves 4(ish) 

Ingredients:
4 cups cubed cooked chicken
3 tbsp butter, softened
2oz cream cheese, softened
4 tbsp half and half (I just use milk)
2 tbsp finely chopped onion
½ tsp dried parsley (I omit this – Gabbi won’t eat anything with “leaves” in it and I’m not sure that it adds any actual flavor)
¼ tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
2 (8oz) cans of Pillsbury Crescent Rolls

Directions:
1.       Heat oven to 350 degrees. In large bowl combine all ingredients (except for the crescent rolls) and mix well. (I usually do this ahead; it makes it quicker to put everything together when it’s time to actually cook dinner.)
2.       Separate each can of dough into four rectangles. Firmly press perforations to seal. Spoon 1/2 cup chicken mixture onto the center of each rectangle. Pull the four corners of dough together and twist. Pinch edges together to seal. (It’s usually not pretty, but as long as it’s all sealed you’re fine.) Place on ungreased cookie sheet.
3.       Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with gravy.

Gravy:
1 can Campbell’s Cream of Chicken Soup
½ can milk
¼ tsp dried parsley (again, I omit this)
Combine in saucepan and heat, stirring often.

One other modification I use when making this has to do with the onion. Lou won’t eat anything with chunks of onion in it. (I know, he’s not picky at all.) Instead I use a tablespoon of Tastefully Simple’s Onion Onion spice mix. It adds a really nice flavor to the chicken mixture and it saves me from having to chop an actual onion.

There you have it – comfort food at its finest. (And by finest, I mean easy to make and still super delicious.) If you make this, let me know what you think. Bon Appetite!

No comments:

Post a Comment