The book in a nutshell: Jen picked 7 areas of excess in her life (food, clothes, possessions, media, waste, spending, stress) and took some simple, but drastic, actions to fight back against the greed, materialism, and over-indulgence that was taking over her family’s life.
Intrigued? Cynical? Looking for something to read with a little more substance than Fifty Shades of Gray? I'd love to have you join us! Here's what to do:
1. Get the book.
2. Read a chapter a week.
3. Come back on Friday for our discussions - We'll discuss the first chapter on Friday, July 13th. Your options for involvement include, but are not limited to:
- Write your own blog post with your thoughts from the chapter and link to it.
- Answer one or more of the discussion questions (that I provide) in the comments section.
- Reply (kindly) to one or more comments.
- Read and reflect at your own leisure with or without commenting.
4. THE IMPORTANT PART: (Again, borrowed from Marla.)
Please take a minute or two to introduce yourself by answering the following question in the comments section of this post. YOU ARE NOT COMMITTING TO ANYTHING. Just saying hi.
- Your Name & Location (be as vague or specific as you’d like)
- Which chapter (area of excess) do you feel most smug about (because it’s not really a problem for you)?
- Which chapter scares you the most?
- (Optional) What do you hope to get out of this Read-a-Long?
Here's my answers to help you get started:
1. I'm Alicia and I live in South Jersey.
2. I think I'll have the least problem with stress.
3. The media chapter scares me. I love the Internet. And TV. And my smartphone.
4. I love having discussion and how hearing how God is moving in others' lives. I want to be more focused on what really matters.
That's pretty much it. I look forward to hearing from you! :-)