Wednesday, March 2, 2011

My Favorite Cupcake In the Whole Wide World

I am a bit of a baked goods snob. I figure if it's not fantastic, it's not worth the calories. I'm also not a fan of my kids eating processed baked good junk. So when Steph's grandma was thoughtful enough to bring mini-cupcakes to a family event last fall, I wasn't thrilled with the idea that  Gabbi and Micah were going to ingest the pasty over-sugared nastiness frosting that I associate with mini-cupcakes from Walmart's bakery.

Except these cupcakes weren't from Walmart. She got them from a little cupcake place in Haddon Heights called Trendy Sweets

Anyway, after dinner, the kids ate their cupcakes, and the adults sat down for a cup of coffee. There were a few remaining lil' cupcakes sitting in the box staring at me. I thought, "Cupcakes and coffee could be a pretty good combination. And if it tastes like crap then I can just take a bite and toss the rest, since it's just a mini-cupcake." So I took a bite. And it might have been the best thing I ever put in my mouth. Seriously, sooooooo delicious. Soon it was time to clean up the table and head home. My mother-in-law graciously gave me the remaining mini-cupcakes to take home "for the kids". Yeah, right. I got those bad boys home and shoved them in the back of my fridge. (The cupcakes, not my kids.) I wasn't going to waste their deliciousness on children who also think that dirt is delicious. Mine! All mine! Mwhahahahahahaha!

Since then, I've ordered from Trendy Sweets for at least one holiday, and then I picked up a variety of normal sized cupcakes for New Years. Then they decided that they were moving on up to a bigger and better location. Instead of being semi-close in Haddon Heights, they opened a kiosk at Moorestown Mall.

Not exactly around the corner.

This was a mixed blessing to me. Bad news for my taste buds, but good news for my hips, thighs, butt, and general abdominal area.  (I'm pretty sure weekly cupcakes runs would have taken their toll.) 

Today we met Lou for lunch at the Chick-Fil-A near his work. This isn't too far from Moorestown Mall, so I promised Gabs that if she ate all of her chicken we could go get a cupcake for later. (Cupcake?!? Yeah, mommy! I don't want to lose weight and get skinny, so that they take all of my blood!") So we headed down to the mall in search of the cupcake kiosk. (It's right across from the GAP, in case you're looking for it.)

When we got there, I took a look at the cupcakes, while my kids decided to play in dirt in the planters right next to the fountains. Which is adjacent to the kiosk. (I know I have a run on sentence and then a fragment. Don't judge me.)  Kiahna, who bakes all of the cupcakes and runs the kiosk, noticed my kids and gave them pennies from her drawer so they could throw them in the fountain. It was seriously the nicest thing I have ever seen a business owner do. I thanked her for the pennies and for her thoughtfulness and we struck up a conversation about cupcakes and our kids. Somehow the conversation turned to how we think we are in control of our lives until God steps in and shows us who is really running the show. Fifteen minutes of talking to this wonderful woman and I felt as if we had been friends for years. It makes her cupcakes even better, and I didn't think that was possible. :-) 

So, if you've ever got a craving for something sweet and you're anywhere near the Moorestown Mall, stop by and say hello to Kiahna and grab a cupcake or two (or a dozen - I've heard you can freeze them, but I tend to just binge on them.) I am super excited about what they are featuring this weekend:
March Monthly Flavor- Cookies-n-creme available every Sat & Sun!
Our freshly "baked from scratch" dark chocolate cookies crumbled in our vanilla bean buttercream...it's to die for, really it is!

6 comments:

  1. man, now i'm EVEN more upset that we couldn't stop and get some on our way out of town

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're cake cheating on me?!?!?!? J/K You will have to bring me some so I can check out the competition;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shannon - I thought about that while writing this post. However, you make my Very Favorite Cake in the Whole Wide World, which is totally different then a cupcake. And I promise to feature Confection Reflections next week. E-mail me some pics of your awesome cake creations. (Or are they all on your fb page?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. this makes me want a red velvet cupcake with creamcheese icing soooooo badly!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooh, this reminds me- we are WAY overdue for that "Landon's Birthday" cupcake! This made me really start to crave cupcakes from this place! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm drooling!!!! (as I laugh at Shannon's comment) :o)

    ReplyDelete